|Pisgah High School
In 1917 Pisgah Junior High School was established. It became a high school in 1925. Albert Raines, later to become a U. S. Congressman, was the first principal after the state took over the school. In 1938, the main high school building consisting of nine classrooms, a home economics department, a library, two rest rooms, a teacher's lounge, and a principal's office was built with WPA labor. The elementary building (two-story building) was constructed in 1953. The lunch room was also located in this building. Additional buildings added were - a new gym, which is in current use, in 1961; a junior high wing, which is now the elementary building, in 1963; a new agriculture department which is in current use in 1964; a new lunchroom in 1969 also in current use; and a new library in 1985.
Through the years several schools have consolidated with Pisgah - Jones Cove, Webster, Chalybete Springs in 1939, New Herman in 1941, Browntown and Central in 1946, Sublets in 1951, Pleasant View in 1964, and Deans Chapel in 1969.
In the fall of 1998, sixty years after the construction of the main high school building, students moved into the present day building. The main structure of the old high school building was sold and moved to Gorham's Bluff.
Old High School Built 1938 Two story building Built 1953
First School Building
Pisgah High School Principals
J. B. Cagle
|1951-1953||J. E. Stephens|
|1971-1973||Billy Lee Beard|
*Wayne Pendley, principal; Alex Jeffery, custodian;
and Timothy Brown, a summer worker were killed in
an accidental fire in the two-story building at
Pisgah School in the summer of 1982.
Compiled by: Darlene Wheeler and Phyllis Whitton